Saturday 9 February 2019

Miss Virginia Lachasse


Miss Virginia Lachasse was a doll produced in 1954 for a London exhibition. She was inspired by one of Lachasse's models, Virginia Woodford. Miss Lachasse had a whole ensemble of outfits and accessories produced by the best British designers of the day.

I've long held an ambition of recreating the collection for 16" fashion dolls and tried making a version of the blue-grey dress that you can see on the right of the picture. I was never very happy with the fit of the dress on Gene Marshall but tried it on a JamieShow doll recently and was inspired to revisit my ambition.

One of my favourite items in the Miss Lachasse's collection is the blue silk dress and matching coat. It was produced by Jacqmar, a London fashion house noted for its beautiful silk products. Jacqmar's head designer from 1946 to 1958 was Victor Stiebel, who may well have had a hand in designing the outfit. Here's a picture of Miss Lachasse in the original Jacqmar dress:


The original dress colour was described as "Periwinkle". The matching opera coat has a bright pink lining. I have to admit that I'm not that keen on the design of the skirt so my interpretation will change that. I've already purchased some silk from Little Trimmings and now I only have to find some patterns to start my creation...

No comments:

Post a Comment